Recall: Wallpaper Steamers Recall/Repair by Wagner

April 7, 1997 (301) 504-7052
Release # 97-096
CPSC and Wagner Announce Recall to Repair Wallpaper Steamers WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Wagner Spray Tech Corp. of Plymouth, Minn., is repairing about 44,000 wallpaper steamers sold under the brand name "Wagner Power Steamer" (model 700). Under certain conditions, steam and hot water can forcefully escape from the unit when the filler cap is opened. Consumers can be burned by the hot water and steam.

Wagner has received 5 reports of first- and second-degree burn injuries to consumers' hands, arms, legs, and feet from forcefully escaping steam and hot water.

The plastic steamer is mainly gray and black with a round 1-gallon water container measuring 6.5 inches in height by 9.5 inches in diameter. The steamer has an 11.5-foot hose that connects the steamplate to the steamer. The filler cap is yellow and is attached to the end of the hose that connects to the spout of the water container. The water container and the steamplate both have yellow labels displaying model number 700 and brand name "Wagner Power Steamer." Model 700 steamers have serial numbers beginning with K and ending with N, beginning with L and ending with N, or beginning with M and ending with N. The serial number is printed in blue ink on the bottom of the water container.

Wallpaper Steamers Recall/Repair by Wagner

The steamer was packaged in a carton labeled in part, "WAGNER POWER STEAMER...Wallpaper Remover...MODEL 700." The carton displays various pictures of the steamer. Labeling on the carton is written in English, Spanish, and French.

Hardware and home supply stores nationwide sold the steamers from July 1994 through February 1997 for about $70.

Consumers should immediately stop using the steamers and call Wagner at (800) 686-8525 or write to the company at 1770 Fernbrook Lane, Plymouth, Minn. 55447 to receive a free replacement hose/filler cap. The steamer is to be repaired at home by replacing the old hose/filler cap with the new one.