Recall: Cabinet Heaters Corrected by Supersaving Heating Products

March 6, 1984  
Release # 84-014

CPSC Announces Cabinet Heater Correction Program

Washington, D.C.-- In cooperation with the U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Supersaving Heating Products, Inc., East Hampton, New York (representing Orbaiceta S.A., of Pamplona, Spain), announces a voluntary correction program affecting approximately 4,000 LP gas-fired "Super-Ser" cabinet heaters. The heaters were sold by independent retailers in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, and Pennsylvania for approximately $250. The cabinet heaters, which were sold between October 1979 and December 1981, are being used with 20 pound LP gas cylinders that are stored inside the cabinet. The LP gas cylinders were sold separate from the heaters.

This program is being initiated due to a potential fire and explosion hazard that may occur because the pressure regulator on the heater is designed to vent gas into the environment under certain circumstances and the heater connector valve may leak gas if it is not properly secured. In addition, the LP gas cylinder being used with the heater is intended for use outdoors and may vent gas into the environment due to the expansion of gas if it is over-filled and then brought indoors.

The Commission is aware of four fires involving the "Super-Ser" LP gas-fired cabinet heater. One incident resulted in first degree burns to the arm and face of the user. The remaining three incidents involved property damage only.

The correction program consists of replacing the pressure regulator and connector valve at no charge to the consumer and making available to the consumer, at a reduced price, a new type of LP gas cylinder. Once the defective heater components have been replaced, the heater can no longer be used with the old fuel cylinder. The new cylinder has an internal float device that will reduce the potential for over-filling.

Consumers should discontinue use of the heater until it has been corrected and a new cylinder has been obtained.

Consumers should contact the retailer from whom the heater was purchased. The retailer will replace the defective components and will have a supply of the new type of cylinder. If the retailer can not be reached, does not have the replacement components, or does not have a supply of the new type of cylinder, consumers in Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan should call Mr. Durfee collect at 419-531-6622. Consumers in Pennsylvania should call Mr. Craft collect at 814-938-9170.

Anyone wishing additional information may call the CPSC toll-free Hotline at 800-638-CPSC. A teletypewriter number for the hearing impaired is (301) 595-7054.